Sometimes, a situation arises in life where you want to tow your vehicle behind a different vehicle, and you want to keep all four wheels on the ground. This process is known as flat towing or dinghy towing. Is it safe to flat tow the 2021 Chevrolet Equinox?
It is perfectly fine to flat tow the 2021 Chevy Equinox as long as you utilize the proper equipment and follow the proper steps. For a full breakdown of this process, check out the 2021 Chevy Equinox Owner’s Manual (where the automaker refers to it as dinghy towing). We’ve also detailed the main points for you below.
How to Flat Tow the 2021 Chevy Equinox
- Position the Equinox to be towed and secure it to the towing vehicle
- Start the vehicle
- If your Equinox is engaged with all-wheel drive, engage all-wheel drive and confirm it is on
- Shift the transmission to N (Neutral)
- Put the vehicle into ACC/ACCESSORY by pressing ENGINE START/STOP one time without the brake pedal applied. An amber light will appear when the vehicle is in this mode.
- A chime will ring continuously for 30 minutes. Leave the transmission in neutral
- Turn off all accessories that are not needed
Once your destination has been reached:
- Set the parking brake
- Shift the transmission to P (Park)
- Turn the vehicle off
- Before driving the Equinox, start the engine and let it idle for more than three minutes
Be sure to follow the steps above so that you do not damage the automatic transmission and all-wheel drive system. Also keep in mind that it is required to charge the battery of the towed vehicle during recreational vehicle towing. Never exceed 65 miles-per-hour while towing the 2021 Equinox.
Do not tow front-wheel drive vehicles with the front tires on the ground if one of the tires is a compact spare tire.
If using a shield, only use one that attaches to the towing vehicle- not to the grille of the Equinox.
Note that the 2021 Chevy Equinox must be dinghy towed from the front. Also, when taking it on a trip, the vehicle should be run at the beginning of each day and at each RV fuel stop for about five minutes. Doing so ensures proper lubrication of the vehicle’s transmission components.
Ever Wonder: Can I safely park my EV inside my house?